Chicken & Pepper
This colourful spicy entrée is fun to serve sizzling at the table, just like they do in restaurants.
Avocado-Lime Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- ½ cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) lime zest
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) lime juice
- ¼ tsp. (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 ¼ lb (550 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- ½ tsp. (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp. (1 mL) pepper
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Bell Peppers, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) cajun seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- ? cup (75 mL) fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
Avocado-Lime Sour Cream Instructions:
- Stir together avocado, sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper; refrigerate until serving
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook chicken with salt and pepper, turning occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Add peppers, onion, garlic and cajun seasoning; cook, stirring often, for 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Serve tortillas with chicken and pepper filling, avocado-lime sour cream, cilantro and lime wedges.
A large cast-iron skillet is the perfect pan for cooking fajitas because it holds heat well. To serve with flair, bring cast-iron skillet to table while still sizzling and squeeze fresh lime juice over top. Substitute Tex Mex seasoning for Cajun seasoning if desired.