This Eastern European style cucumber salad is very refreshing and a great accompaniment to grilled fish and meat or as part of a composed salad plate. It is easy to make and very tasty
- 3 cups (720 mL) Ontario Greenhouse Seedless Cucumbers, cut in chunks or half slices (not necessary to peel or seed)
- ½ cup (120 mL) thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ cup (60 mL) plain full-fat Greek yogurt or full-fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh chopped dill
- 4 tsp (20 mL) cider or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (3 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped dill
- Soak onion in cold water for 15 minutes to remove the strong raw flavour. Drain well and pat dry.
- In a bowl, whisk together yogurt or sour cream, dill, vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Add cucumber and onion. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with chopped dill.
Chef's Tip: Best served immediately after dressing is added. Can refrigerate for up to 2 days. If you prefer creamier salad, add more yogurt or sour cream and adjust seasonings to taste.