Delicious soup with summer flavours served hot for those cold winter days... spice it up with our Crunchy Cucumber Salsa.
Recipe Type: Soup Recipe Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 large Ontario Greenhouse Seedless Cucumbers, diced, should yield 5 1/2 cups
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped (about 1 cup (240 mL))
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely diced fresh jalapeño (1 whole)
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) butter
- 3 3/4 cups (900 mL) good quality chicken stock (vegetable stock for a vegetarian option)
- 1 1/2 tsp (8 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) whipping cream
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño and stir until onions are translucent. Add diced cucumber and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes covered until the cucumber is soft.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender (or use a hand held blender right in the saucepan).
- Return pureed soup back in the saucepan and add cream. Heat over low heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.