Cucumber, Brussel Sprout & Apple Kimchi
- 4 - Cucumbers peeled, seeded, grated
- 2 lb (1 kg) - Brussel Sprouts peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 - Apples - peeled, cored & grated
- ¼ cup (60 ml) - Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml) - Water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) - Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) - Sugar
- 2 - Carrots- peeled & grated
- 2 - Garlic Cloves - minced
- 2 oz pc (60 gm) - Ginger- peeled & fine grated
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) - Korean Chili Flakes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) - Fish Sauce
- ¼ cup ( 60 ml) - Rice Wine Vinegar
In a large strainer, toss the brussel sprouts, cucumber and apple with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 mins, rinse and transfer to a large bowl.
In a medium pot over low heat combine the water, rice flour and sugar and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a food processor combine the grated carrot, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, fish sauce and rice vinegar and process into a chunky paste. Fold this mixture into the flour mixture until well combined.
Now combine your paste with the vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly. Transfer into a large glass jar or an air tight container with a tight fitting lid. Let stand at room temperature for 48 hour and then refrigerate.