Greenhouse Salsa is a wonderful way to capture the flavour of tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers. Use as a filling for quesadillas, omelettes or grilled cheese sandwiches, a topping for tostadas and our favourite on top of a burger.
Recipe Type: Appetizer Recipe Yield: 6 Servings Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cooking Time: None
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) spanish onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (3 mL) sugar
- 1 ½ cups (360 mL) Ontario greenhouse tomatoes on the vine
- ¾ cup (180 mL) Ontario greenhouse seedless cucumber
- ¾ cup (180 mL) Ontario greenhouse yellow bell pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cilantro
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh jalapeño
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) ground cumin
- To make the dressing, combine onion, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt and sugar. Set aside in the refrigerator to develop flavour for at least an hour or overnight.
- Finely chop tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onion, cilantro and jalapeño. Place in bowl and set aside.
- When ready to serve, gently combine diced tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers with cilantro jalapeño, cumin, dressing.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping