This is a very zesty condiment or salad reminiscent of Korean cabbage Kimchi in flavour. Not for the faint of heart, this dish can be very addictive for those who like bold flavours. Great served as a side with grilled meats.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cooking Time: None Recipe Yield: 6-8 Servings as a side dish or topping
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Beefsteak tomatoes, approximately 570 g cored, then chopped into 1/2" pieces (2 2/3 cups)
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse mini cucumbers, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup (240 mL) diced Spanish onion (113 g) or other sweet onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) green onions, white and light-green parts, cut on the diagonal
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, Spanish onion, garlic, ginger, vinegar, sugar, cayenne, paprika and salt in a large resealable plastic food storage bag. Seal and massage to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. If desired, drain off some, but not all, of the liquid.
- Before serving, stir in the green onions.
- Best served the day prepared but keeps for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.